I'm BAAAACK.
Sorry I stayed away so long...I was in serious need of a blog-cation. I spent a lot of time writing for myself and for my own personal fulfillment, instead of for the masses that surprisingly really love to read about my life. I've been chronicling relationships; relationships with my parents, my brother, the rest of my family, my friends at home, those at school...all in an attempt to never, ever forget those who have meant something. (And no, you'll never read or find the one about you, if there is one...) It's kind of my own version of The Notebook, except with a whole lot less romance and a lot more laughter, thought, and reflection. It might also be a way for the survivors/discoverers of Earth after December of 2012 to figure out what civilization was like before the world came to an end... Haven't heard of what I'm talking about? See the preview of the 2012 movie...
It's actually a true theory if you do a little research. I hope it's not...that would be close to $120,000 worth of tuition down the drain...
I've seen a lot of movies since I've been MIA: Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, (500) Days of Summer, and The Ugly Truth. I actually enjoyed HP the most, followed by Ugly Truth and then (500). I know a lot of people didn't like Harry because it focused too much on the relationships and the less-intense tones of the story/magic, which did annoy me, but once I got over that part I actually really liked the movie. What I didn't appreciate, however, was the fact that theater was COMPLETELY sold out and I had to sit right right right near this incrediblyyy obese man (at least 500 pounds, no exaggeration) who ate an entire bag of large popcorn before the PREVIEWS began. And what was most annoying...every single word that came on the screen he would read aloud. Kind of went like this:
But even MORE annoying - for at least 10 minutes before the movie started, he kept doing this:
Thank GOD he didn't say anything during the actual movie because I truly would have actually chewed him out for his inconsiderate and obnoxious narrative.
Work has been GREAT! I'm reallllly into the swing of my internship now; I actually wish I had another month to give to it. I know how everything runs, I know my boss really likes me, and I am learning so much. I was walking home from the T tonight and thinking a lot about Relay plans for this spring, and started fashioning different plans as we begin to draft the event. The best idea I had comes from an experience I've had at work. I'm really enjoying it and will actually be quite sad to leave. I technically have 9 days left, but will spend tomorrow on site at the Steppingstone program, half of the day Wednesday at Beacon Academy, and part of Thursday at Achieve at the Noble and Greenough School. After seeing all of these independent private high schools, I really wish I would have even thought about going to boarding school for grades 9-12. It's so so so worth it academically and I know I could have gotten into an Exeter or an Andover. Who knows where I would have ended up had I made such a decision... All the same, I love Syracuse and LOVE being an Orange.
Speaking of Syracuse, Friday I was walking downtown wearing an SU zip-up and walked into TWO people also wearing Syracuse shirts. It was so awkward so I just pretended to BBM on my BlackBerry so I could avoid them.
Speaking of awkward... I was walking through Harvard Square Saturday night, BBM'ing (naturally) when I glanced up for a second and saw Katie Rossignol?! How random! It was so random that it was awkward and we chatted for just a second. Such a small world.
Yes, I spent the weekend in Boston, and I actually had a WONDERFUL time! I discovered the joys/horrors of Newbury Street...and let me tell you, the Japs and fashionistas and sorority clans of SU girls have actually had an effect on me. I've got gear from American Apparel now and my first pair of Hunter rain boots. Uh oh...who am I becoming?! The last investment I've got to make is a solid couple of pairs from AA and then I'll realllllly fit in in the fall. I just don't know if I can do it...I've hated on them sooo much and will feel like a hypocrite if I give in. But seriously, Newbury Street...what a fun and dangerousss place, oh my word! I am positive I walked over 10 miles that day and did not complain once. (I mean I didn't really have anyone to complain to...)
I've also been trying out all kinds of restaurants. If you're ever in Boston, you MUST get pizza at The Upper Crust. It's thin-crusted (my fave, sorry Janielle) and there are allll kinds of different slices. I had supper Saturday night at B.Good, which is all-natural meats and organic vegetables and okay, but probably not somewhere I'd go back. My favorite meal of the weekend, however, was my supper Sunday night at Border Cafe, a Mexican/Creole joint in Harvard Sqaure. DELICIOUS.
There are bakeries and cupcake stores EVERYWHERE, and I realllllly want to try them ALL, but I feel like such a fatty to go in them alone, so I still haven't been! There's this really cute, urban one in Harvard Square and then the ridiculously famous Mike's Pastries, and I haven't visited one yet. So I'd love a visitor for this reason alone... But otherwise, I've really come to enjoy time alone.
Mucho congratulations to the Gen Y members of the Roy household: Samantha landed her first job (at Little Caesars, hahahahaha) and Emily got her license (on her fourth try!). Congrats cousins!
One of the top reasons I'm so excited to go home: s'mores at Sam's camp! Ahh I cannot wait.
On a sadder, s'mores related note: last week I visited this school program in South Boston. We had a little time to interact with the kids, and I was talking to this wiiicked shy little girl. The program had organized a camping trip for the kids, and she shared with me that her mom had told her she could go because they had enough money for her to do so. They would be able to buy her a towel and s'mores materials. How sad, ugh, I lead a sheltered and spoiled life.
Like seriously though, can people not read? I put my apartment up on craigslist for the last few weeks of August since I won't be here, and people reply to me with questions whose answers are literally written in my post. I had a girl reply to me today letting me know she really wanted the apartment and would need to move in sometime between August 1-5, when it explicitly stated MULTIPLE TIMES that it would only be available, at earliest, August 7th. Not only did it say this in the body of the ad, but it was even in the headline. I'm so over stupidity. I was also on the other end of at least a half-dozen attempts at money schemes; people coming to the US from Nigeria who wanted my place. Holler, thank God I've always got a lawyer on my side these days.
By the way, all of you who emailed/texted/Facebooked/commented about my blog absence while I was on vacay, it was noted, and I appreciate it. It was funny to see how wide-reaching my audience actually is! But again, thank you for your support, comments, and encouragement. I do regret to inform you, however, that my regular posting style will change drastically in just a few weeks when I start life back up in the 207 and especially when I'm a student again in the 315!
I received an application to apply today for SU's Student Leadership Institute. I'm excited!
I spent my lunch break today in Boston Common. I never expected to see SO many bums just asleep randomly on the ground or so many pigeons EVERYWHERE. I also watched this boy probably about my age eat his frappe from Starbucks with a spoon instead of drinking it with a straw, which made me laugh on the inside a lot.
Another thing that made me laugh on the inside a lot today: I was on a conference call with my boss and the program associate, and when my boss introduced me, she TOTALLY butchered my last name. I mean, everyone outside of northern Maine does it; nobody realizes that the emphasis is actually on BOU, everyone emphasizes ARD. I've coached my closest friends at Syracuse on how to say it right so I can handle being around them, but I can't do it for everyone. I'm thinking of getting an accent on the o...like the two little dots you can get to put above it for emphasis. I mean I know you can't really buy them in a store or anything, but I'm going to talk to the people at the names office.
I'm panicking SO MUCH right now about packing for London. I have NO idea how I will ever fit four months worth of stuff into two suitcases. I feel like I will be wearing a lotttttt of stuff on the plane. And PS, for those of you who haven't heard (and apologies to those who will find this completely irrelevant): Lindsey Mather is bringing a backpack to Madrid! Suck on that one.
So I'm embarking on a social experiment: I'm going to try and live through this Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday on just $20. A lot of people have to do this on even less, and I figured I should give it a try. I know I'm not really getting the full experience because I could never do this through a weekend (I love eating out way too much) but we'll see how it goes. Basically it means no going out to lunch, no morning coffee-stops, no afternoon java boosts, nothing. It's enough for a bit of fruit and maybe a pebble sized morsel of cheese, if I'm lucky.
Speaking of food...we've had this half Filipino, quarter Mexican, quarter black, gay kid named Eugene who's been living with us for the past week. He's quite nice but a bid odd...stays up ALL night and sleeps ALL day. I haven't seen him off of the couch in the entire time he's been here and that's not an exaggeration AT ALL. Unfortunately, he has clearly gotten of the couch because he ate all of my food! Now I am not possessive at all about people using my stuff or eating my food...not at all. It's really not a big deal, I can replace it. I went to the grocery store last week, however, with the intent that it would probably be my last trip, so I stocked up on yogurt...I bought 2 cartons that had 8 cups in them each. I am NOT exaggerating when I say that Eugene ate 14 of them. I had 2 last week, and then this morning when I opened the fridge to grab one to take to work, they were ALL gone. He ate FOURTEEN of my yogurts! It doesn't stop there, either...this afternoon, after work, I went to grab a little bit of granola, and 3/4 of my previously unopened box of granola was gone. Again, not an exaggeration. Now I am just a poor little hungry girl.
On another food-related note: Is it possible for the stomach to shrink? I really think it is. I'm hardly eating at all and I'm never hungry. It could have something to do with the wicked intense humidity that's taken over Boston, but still, it's weird. Can't wait to see Connie McL in a few weeks to discuss.
My Skype date card for this week is mad full. Be impressed.
I learned a trick to use on the T. If you swipe your CCard through on the elderly/handicapped people's line, you're only charged $1.00 instead of the $2.50 normal people have to pay. Sometimes there are monitors watching, but most of the time there aren't. I'm not hating on the disabled, but I don't think my train ride is worth $2.50, especially when water falls on your head like it did today. Impressive, MBTA, impressive.
I'm trying to decide how I should thank people in my office after I leave. Are cards enough? Or should I send some plants, flowers, chocolates, etc.? The IT guy continues to love me... did I mention that last week he went to the bakery downstairs and bought a brownie because he overheard me saying I was craving something sweet? He visits me a lot and it's great company, I think I will send him chocolate when I leave. Today he asked if I had anything for him to snack on. Truly a man after my own heart.
I'm going to visit Bobby's monastery! (The place where monks live. They make jam!)
I'm starting to panic about work; there's so little time left and I have so much to do! I'm even starting to break out a little bit...I'm stressed! You know you take things seriously and care when you think about work when you're not there and plan the things you must accomplish when in the shower. Ugh, I'm becoming a grown up. TOO SOON.
Okay, how is it fair that a FRESHMAN got placed in Ernie Davis (brand new, beautiful dorm at SU) and I am stuck in Haven?! I mean I'm actually not that bitter, but come onnnnn Syracuse ORL.
I've finally seen the person-side of my boss. It's funny when people get comfortable and their guards are down; they swear, are honest about their life, and share stories about their experiences. I'm very concerned that I'm going to gain the 10 pounds she did when she was in London! AHHH! Bakeries and beer, oh NO!
I think my favorite thing in the world to do is surprise people, but I think my second favorite thing is to hear people's secrets and stories about their past. Every single person I have ever encountered in my life has commented on my curiosity and my endless questions; I just love other people's lives!
Oh my word, I am SO excited to see this movie. I was laughing so much during the preview and I know EXACTLY who I want to see it with!
Funny!! I've loved seeing so many movies while I've been in Boston, but what's obnoxious is that by the time I get home, the exact same ones will be just arriving in Fort Kent. Love it.
Did you know that in the 2000 census, over 11 million people were over-counted? Did you also know that less than 20% of all commuters walk or ride their bike as part of their commute? And have you ever paused to actually think about how fundamental reading is to ANYTHING? Or, have you ever considered the implications the socialization of American healthcare could have? The tentacles that such a program could affect are incredible, and yet, I do not think the bill will pass in the fall.
Also, frozen chocolate covered bananas are NOT what they are made out to be, unfortunately.
Want to see a cool art project near where I'm living? See this link. I've sent one in and can't wait to see it posted/the response.
I'm thinking of getting a quote tattooed on my foot. Don't fret. For those of you who never knew, I actually had my neck pierced for quite some time. I'm a wild one, watch out.
I hope my return hasn't disappointed.
My (attempt at a) comeback will be epic. You have my word.

No comments:
Post a Comment