Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Keeps getting better...ooh UH

Day 2! Even better than Day 1...for the most part.

I woke up to a very loud noise right outside my window this morning. At first I thought it was Janielle eating fruit leather, but I figured out it was a snowmobile. I think.

I arrived at work far too early on Monday, so I chose to take a later bus and train into the city. All was fine and dandy until I got off my stop in Boston, walked upstairs to the street, and entered completely unfamiliar territory. I temporarily wondered if I had come up a different exit and just needed to walk around the corner, but unfortunately, such was not the case. I eventually realized that I had stopped off at Downtown Crossing instead of South Station, and ended up walking entirely around the block, hoping for a sign of something familiar. After wasting close to 15 minutes wandering around, I arrived back at the T-station, ran back downstairs, and hopped the next train to the correct station. I made it to the 8th floor of 155 Federal at exactly 9:00.

I got off at the wrong stop because I was preoccupied with my new decision to only use my right hand to touch any part of a piece of public transportation. This leaves my left hand to scratch my face, arrange my hair, and pickpocket. If anyone wants to send me Germ-X as a special [birthday] present, that'd be greatly appreciated. [Especially if you're a Seth Green soccer player look-a-like. Then write about it on my Facebook.]

I spent a lot of time at work today learning how to use additional computer programs, looking through files, and reading a lot about education. I think I'm going to have a lot more freedom to research as I please, make suggestions to/for the organization, and choose how to spend my time. My goal this summer was to pursue an opportunity that would allow me to learn about current events in education...and that's going to happen.

I went out for lunch today with my boss, the program associate, and one of the Steppingstone Foundation directors to this cute little sandwich shop just a block away. Running parallel to where we sat was this tiny little park; about the size of the Community High School front lawn or the space between Schine and Newhouse III. Apparently it's a public area, because there was a park ranger (with a gun) watching over everything and ensuring no rowdiness took place. Clearly they take greenery seriously in Boston.

And who knew that if a public Boston (or maybe Massachussets) establishment does not have a public restroom, they cannot have chairs? I learned that through my visit at Peets Coffee.

I also learned over lunch that the area I was lost in this morning is a haven for gangs once school hours are over. I'm glad they at least make education a priority.

And believe what they teach you in the Whitman School of Management. As I was perusing files today, I came across a SWOT analysis.

Again, I really enjoy the people I work with in my office. There is this cute, scruffy guy who always races me whenever we are walking near each other in the office. I went to the bathroom three times today; I caught the door behind someone else the first time, couldn't open the door the second time (someone else came along and handled it), and OPENED IT ALL ON MY OWN THE THIRD TIME! What an accomplishment. Also, it was the third anniversary of one of the Steppingstone employees today, and at 2:00, we all gathered in the conference room called "Wonderland" for a Pop-Rocks toast recognizing his accomplishment. True story.

Remember the story (okay, mention) of the other Bouchard in the office? Turns out she's from Van Buren. It's a small world...

In other transportation woes, this afternoon at the bus stop, I followed a boy I had seen on my bus yesterday onto the one he climbed onto at the station. Unfortunately, that was the wrong bus, and I had to walk a few extra blocks home.

I also saw a tree today that had raspberries growing on it. Odd?

I saw my first little person in Boston today on the T. He was a bit over three feet, covered in axle grease, and jamming out to his iPod. And when I say jamming out, I mean singing out loud and stomping his feet. He was staring at a trio of female Asian college students, and I mean staring. They were sitting on the same side of the train as him, but he eventually got up and moved right next to me, diagonal to where they were sitting. (Probably so he could stare more, I don't know.) I checked out his iPod (beacuse I couldn't understand what he was singing) and caught a glimpse of the Pussycat Dolls album. Impressive.

Also saw the biggest ginger I have ever seen in my entire life. Clearly a product of a Drake sister and Hagrid. Whoa.

And I now have a complaint about my apartment: It's like Antarctica in here! Got spare blankets, space heaters, tanning beds, hot bulbs, pizza ovens, firewood, matches, newspaper, firestarters, tropical island getaways, phone books, trees, evil Harry Potter books? Send them this way, please.

I also had lettuce on my sandwich for the first time in my life today. Turns out you don't even taste it at all. Sorry for the headaches, Justine Drake.

Trying to decide what to hit up this weekend. Maine for a night or two to visit Brother Bobby? (Word, I have a monk in my family.) Rhode Island to see Covino and Ed? Stick around Boston and explore? Haven't made a decision yet. New MacBook has arrived in Maine though, so that's a real temptation.

Special shoutout to everyone who's been reading this baby. I've got a tracker on here and have been super impressed by all the creeping and stalking. Keep it up and I'll keep it epic.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. **Just had to repost this comment because I saw who your followers are.. ahah

    OK so much to say about your insane ramblings.
    First of all, 9-5 never gets better, it gets worse once the newness of it all fades (YAY).
    Second, I do SWOT analyses at work! Woopie!
    Third, you will stay in Boston and party with Tufts people or your housemates! If you go home for a Macbook I'll puke.
    Fourth, if you dare wear running shoes I'll puke again. Wear flats for God's sake.
    Fifth, your people watching obsession is freaking me outttt.

    But I still like you a little.

    XOXOX
    Linds

    ReplyDelete