Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Another day, another dollar.

No real transportation woes to share today, but a definite reminder of my past hit me while riding on the T this morning. I settled in to a friendly looking girl and quickly realized that she was feasting on a restaurant-sized bag of Tostitos chips. Had I given her a jar of queso ("It sounds really gross, but it's actually really good..") I could have just called her an Asian Courtney Rung.

I spent a lot of time at work today reading more about what's happening in the privatization of the college access field. I also was able to peruse a lot of news articles about what is going on in the public sector of the field. I spent a lot of the afternoon resarching venues for NPEA's 2010 conference. By 3:00, my mind was exhausted and completely spent, so I did something that I hadn't done since I've lived at 211; I cracked open a Diet Coke. It's funny, all day long, people are opening cans of soda all around the office, and every time I hear that sound, I think that just maybe it's B. Alex and think that just maybe she's going to poke her head around the side of my cubicle, Coors Light in hand, to sit and chat for a while. I've been disappointed.

I see the saddest thing every day when I'm walking to and from my office. A man stands in a very foot traffic-y area of Downtown, holding a sign that says "My son and I are homeless. Can you help? :) " In the morning, he's alone, and just stares straight ahead. In the afternoon, his son is with him...I am almost positive he's not there in the morning because his dad sends him to school. I'm so positive. They are always very clean and presentable and I feel bad; my guess is that they are a product of the recession. Sad.

This morning, the graphic designer in the office came over to my cubicle to introduce herself, as we had not met yet. We chatted for a few minutes, and at the end of our conversation, she invited me to get drinks with her and some of our other coworkers today after work! I was really sad to have to inform her that I was 19 (I'm actually 20, but hey, it had been a long day) and would not be able to attend. But still, it was flattering and exciting to be included! Yay for fitting in.

As I was perusing hotel catering options for conferences, I was affected by sticker-shock; one place offered 1-gallon jugs of hot chocolate as part of their menu... at $75 a pop. $75! For hot chocolate! Oy vey! Who do they think they are? Balloons?!

Today on the train, I encountered an adult Twilight fan. She had to be at least 45, and was devouring New Moon faster than Janielle and a Funfetti cake.

Holler Mass Bay Transportation Authority; you really need to write out the unwritten rules of mass transportation. It is sooo not appropriate to talk on the bus or the train in the morning, ESPECIALLY when no one else is saying a single word. Seriously, keep it to yourself. Clearly your kid is a loser if he struggles to get along with other kids his age. No one cares.

Also, what do men carry in their bags? I do NOT understand what the purpose of a man bag is. At all. In my purse, I carry my wallet, a change of shoes, a Nalgene, and maybe a piece of fruit or two. The shape of a man bag does not allow for the deposit of such objects, and men are lucky enough to have pockets and be able to wear comfortable shoes all of the time. Lose them, it's weird.

And now I know why everyone hates on my backpack all of the time. When there are a hundred people crammed into a small train car that is hot, sweaty, stinky, and really awkward, the LAST thing I need in my face, or jabbing into my back, or knocking me off-balance is an effing BACKPACK. I vow to never, ever, ever carry one of these things again. (Exception: When traveling in airports, backpacking in Europe, and conveniently hiding small children.)

I saw a man walking in the Davis Square station fully decked out in a tuxedo. To me, if you're going somewhere dressed that fancy, you should probably drive or take a cab or hire a limo driver. I mean, I don't plan on taking the T on my wedding day...

Today in my Facebook news feed, someone wrote about how excited they were for Saterday. Saterday. I'm sorry you didn't learn the days of the week when you were in pre-school. Turns out that one of the wealthiest school districts in Aroostook County is clearly not the most effective. Holler, CHS!

I think I'm going to CNY for the Fourth of July. Get at me if you'll be around.

Tonight I went to supper next door with my roommate. The girl I am subletting from is living there this summer with her boyfriend, and we all enjoyed a small feast. So good to have pork again. Mmm.

Sam and mum are in Colorado for CSU orientation. My mum is so cool now; she posted on my Facebook wall:
"O.K., I think I will write a book titled 'Stupid Questions Parents Ask at College Orientation.' Seriously..."
When did she get so cool?

Still no definite plans or decisions regarding the weekend.

And what's this deal about work not ending when it's supposed to? I technically finish my work day at 5:00. Come that moment, however, none of my colleagues have even begun to wrap up their tasks or show any sign of completion. I am the lowly intern; clearly I can't be the first one to leave, regardless of how much I have accomplished or how little I have to do. I can't leave before my boss, either, because...well I don't know why, but I just can't. It makes me wonder if ANYONE is actually doing work between 4:45 and 5:15, or just making themselves look busy.

After this morning's post-work bar invitation, I was on a high, but my ego was further inflated when my BOSS invited me out after work! I got my age correct this time around, but still, so weird! What's actually weird is that in less than a year, I will be able to go out to Happy Hour. And I know I'm a rather studious college student, but I've never been out on a Wednesday I don't think...so what are all these professionals doing? Aren't they exhausted? I guess I'm going to have to start training for real-world socialization hours starting this year... raging Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday...rest on Sunday in respect of the Lord...sounds good to me!

I had my first "OMG I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO WEAR" moment today. I hadn't bothered to even think about it last night, and after hitting "snooze" until 7:00, that was a really poor decision. Also, if anyone in the greater Boston area is interested in stopping by and doing a little laundry for me, I'd truly appreciate it.

Until we meet again...have an epic 24 hours...I know I will.

Oh, and Tank, if I don't see pictures by the time I report my next series of epicness, I'm blocking your IP address. You've been warned...

No comments:

Post a Comment