Although just in its pilot year, the LEAD program at BUA is objectively engineered and goal-oriented: students who participate in the summer program will leave more motivated to attend college and armed with a love of learning that will propel them into the academic school year.
LEAD, an acronym for “Leadership, Experience, and Academic Development,” is split into three mixed-level groups: Sigmas, Deltas, and Omegas, each of which houses twelve students and is led by a teacher and three counselors. The academic focuses of program students are in language arts, mathematics, and science, but time is set aside each day to foster community and expose participants to genuine college life. The accessibility of LEAD to BU makes exploration of an actual campus realistic, and the reactions from students about what they have seen are positive and hopeful.
Program Director Maureen Hurley indicated to guests that the intent of BU LEAD is to inspire students not only to go college, but to ensure it is a natural step in their academic progression. The evidence of this goal was screamingly obvious in the classroom but in an incredibly subtle way. While discussing The Giver, students took turns assigning societal and careers roles to each other and then followed up on what it felt like to be forced into something that may have limited their talent, not suited their personality, or incorrectly represented who they were. Math class was spent pouring over maps and using basic, typically intangible computational skills to bring purpose to their learning. And in the science labs, plants were studied while braving the elements of different forces: darkness, sunlight, water, drought, and Red Bull, among other things. Without the perfect combination of factors, progression in the life cycle and development could not occur.
BU Academy LEAD is very academically focused, and the seamlessness with which the program supports students is indicative of multiple successes: short- and long-term student achievement, strong potential for program growth, and an ability to cyclically set and achieve goals.
Wednesday, July 15, 2009
what would you promise me?
So I wrote up my official reaction to BU Academy's LEAD program that I visited yesterday:
I went to visit Breakthrough Cambridge today and it was SO funny how similar the development director there looked exactly like what Sara Covino will look like in 40 more years. I couldn't stop thinking of her; I almost asked her if she had any relatives that ever attended SU!
I just realized that I lost alllllll of my New Orleans photos when my computer was stolen, sans what I posted to Facebook. What a bummer. Reminds me: I really need to order an external hard drive. Any suggestions?
I love that since I've started writing this blog, throughout their lives, people will send me texts, BBMs, and Facebook messages about things that they notice. I received one today: "This fat lady just ate a piece of apple off of the ground." Send me your quirky observations, and I'll post them!
A friend tried to coerce me into calling her boss today and quitting her job for her. I'm not a human resources agent, my friends, sorry!
I can't decide whether or not to head to Maine Friday night. The weather is going to be exactly the same both here in Boston and in the 207. I could go see HP there, I could see it here. I would have people to talk to there, it'd be quiet here. Hmm.
This guy on the T today was playing music straight from his SideKick so that EVERYONE could hear. It was the most obnoxious and rude thing I have seen to date while riding public transportation. I could hear his rap music over the sound of my own iPod, and was so frustrated. Yesterday I wrote that the content of an iPod is private; everyone should respect that sentiment...do not snoop at what others are listening to, and do not share what you are listening to with everyone else. It's a respect thing.
Speaking of respect... Today on the T I was seated, listening to my iPod (through my headphones) when the man who was standing in front of me, holding onto the rails, ITCHED HIS CROTCH RIGHT IN FRONT OF MY FACE. How rude!
One of my bests shared with me today that her mom or her aunt accidentally threw away or donated to the Goodwill a bag full of sheets and $10,000. If anyone happens to come across such a lucky fortune, please let me know. Reminds me of a number of Jordan family Christmases.
So I've started reading Danielle Steel books, and I've never felt more like a middle-aged woman. I actually try to hide the cover while I read because I'm so embarrassed that I'm not reading something more mature, worldly, or impressive. I like it and it's hard to put down, but it's hard to read something like that when you're surrounded by all of these elitist Harvard and Tufts students...
I saw Matt Martino (an ESF grad) today at Harvard Square. He was outside of the T while I was inside, but it was still the most random thing ever. I wrote on his Facebook (after a year of not speaking at all) that I liked the blue polo and khaki trousers he was wearing today. We'll see how that goes.
So I don't know if I'll ever escape my accounting background and coursework. NPEA will be hosting their 2010 conference outside the state of Massachusetts, and our 501c3 status grants us exempt from many sales, food, and event taxes. Such a certificate, however, is granted by the state, not the federal government, which makes figuring out how to obtain such paperwork for an out-of-state event difficult. I was, therefore, swamped in tax information and even had a conversation with an auditor who confirmed what I truly actually suspected; turns out I actually DID learn something in ACC 356. Hard to believe, considering the distraction that Janielle was.
I've discovered, through my internship, that there is an ENTIRE private sector called "social entrepreneurship." It's totally a blend of the business and public interests that I possess, and basically exists around the concept of people (many young people, actually) doing good and making a genuine difference in the world around them. If you're like my dad, you're already questioning where these people get the money to support such investments and movements; venture capitalists who are very interested in affecting the greater good are springing up all over the place. If I decide, therefore, that maybe I am not ready to pursue an entrepreneurial avenue, I still have an option to do good in a more structured, business-focused way through consultancy or management analytics. Interesting... I have a new favorite blog: http://www.socialroi.com
It's funny, I NEVER, ever read SUToday (the daily email we get from the University) when I'm at school; I delete it as SOON as it arrives in my inbox. During the summer, however, I look forward to Wednesdays, because I know SUToday will show up on my Blackberry and I cannot wait to read it!
Speaking of Blackberries... the Tour has captured my heart. Please, mum. Pleeeeeeease. :)
I NEED a favor! One of my favorite people in the entireeee world, Raquela Susman actually needs a favor, but I promised I'd do what I could. Rocky's sister's dog, Riese, is in the running to win the award of "Baltimore's Most Beautiful Dog." Riese is in category D, currently in second place, and NEEDS YOUR HELP! It's actually fun to look at all of the beautiful pooches (none compare to either Duke OR Moe, but still) and vote for your favorites! I don't care who you vote for in A/B/C (I chose Bandit/Dublin/Izzy) but PLEASE visit this link and vote for Riese!
Staaaay epic!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
OMG I LOVE YOU! youre the BEST!
ReplyDeletewooof woof, Riese thanks you too!
LOVEEE YOUUUU
ps-im really regretting that breakfast that we were supposed to have one time but then you cancelled. thanks. lets make that happen earlier next year?? great. :-)